Thursday, December 30, 2010

Words to live by ...

"Take a picture and get it framed, plan adventures, stay in contact with those you care about, learn the waitress' name, sleep in, try on a wig, stick your feet in the snow, love what surrounds you and the life you have!"


This is Alana. A year ago today, she was in a terrible accident which cut her life way too short. I met her through my best friend, Brian. He and two other of his (now our) friends grew up with Alana. Neil and I were lucky enough to be in that group of people that would have a chance to meet Alana in her short life, and we are blessed for it.

The words I have quoted are from her cousin, Kim and I have borrowed them to share it with all of you out there. Wherever you are, whoever you are.
That was Alana. She lived life while dancing and "hip swooshing" (a term she demonstrated for Brian and I the last time we saw her) to the beat of her own drum. We should all learn from that.
I went to her Facebook today and saw that all the people who met her, even for a brief moment, have taken a page from her book.
The messages on her wall today, while sad and full of heart ache, are filled with the great memories she created with everyone and it makes me think that she would like that.

Always finding the joy in the little moments. Remembering the good times she spent with everyone right down to the conversations that were had years prior. Always having the exact gift that reflected your personality (she once bought me a purse with an owl on it because the owl was saying "life's a hoot" and she knows that word makes me laugh). More importantly, she stayed in touch with EVERYONE! Something I definitely have to work much harder at next year, I promise. She made it look so easy! That was Alana. She is missed by many.

So whether you ever had the chance to meet Alana or not, remember...
"Take a picture and get it framed, plan adventures, stay in contact with those you care about, learn the waitress' name, sleep in, try on a wig, stick your feet in the snow, love what surrounds you and the life you have!"

Alana did all those things, and she did them well.
Definitely words to live by...

<3

This is a video of the memorial ride held for her last year with her B.C. family and friends which I borrowed from Heather's page, Alana's cousin and fellow adventurer.




No comments:

Post a Comment