Monday, December 6, 2010

Happy 1st Blogoversary "Long gone to Saskatchewan! ..."!!!

Did we just use the word "Blogoversary"? Is that even a word? Anyway, Blogoversary, anniversary, annually marking of a date, no matter which way you say it, this date holds some importance for us.

One year ago today, I (Neil) got on a plane for the very first time, just like a big boy!
I know now that I don't mind flying, it's just the landing that hurts my ears like hell.

Today marks one year of me (Neil) living in Saskatchewan. Tomorrow will be one year since I started my job. A lot has happened in that time. We got engaged, I travelled more of the country, spending two weeks in BC, drove 2700 kms in February through Northern Ontario and against all odds, did not encounter any bad weather. A feat I am not likely to try and repeat. Incidentally, Ontario is very large. 2010 of those kms were just to make it out of the province.

After 4 months, we escaped our Guantanamo Bay of a house in Tribune and settled in the booming metropolis of Weyburn. We've had visitors courtesy of my Mom and Dad and Veronica's Mom. Explored the province, travelling to Rouleau aka Dog River, Moose Jaw, Regina and finally Saskatoon. Veronica is off crutches, well crutch, we left one in Parry Sound. She has also started a new job which she will fill you in on later.

We've become acclimatized to the province and have already started making fun of our family and friends back in Ontario as we have realized Torontonians really are a bunch of wussies. Don't worry, we include ourselves in that description for when we lived there!

Things I have not gotten used to: saying SaskPower, not Hydro. Calling my hoodies "bunny-hugs" Something very unmanly about telling Veronica that I am wearing a "bunny-hug." The May 2-4 weekend being called "May Long" I thought the 2-4 thing was universal. Apparently Euchre is not a common game here either. What do their high school kids play?

In all seriousness, we love it here and this was the best thing for us.

On the first post of this blog, Veronica touched on some of the unknowns about coming here. There were even more unknowns that we realized, but we made it through and I wouldn't change a thing in the last 12 months.

At home in Saskatchewan,
Neil

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great year guys!

    - Cris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! well, double-yay!! it's your one year anniversary...and...you have made more blog posting than I have in three months!! congratulations. Now post some pics!!! What does your port look like? what does your home away from home look like? got any new friends? take a photo and proove it. :P

    p.s. stick around on monday. I think fed ex is dropping your a present. Neil, check your email on the 22nd for the rest of your present.

    R

    ReplyDelete