Thursday, June 17, 2010

You only need the last 4 digits....

Hello All,

So, we are still unpacking and putting things into place. The good news is we don't really have much more to go! It feels awesome to finally give all of our things a proper place in our new home.

We are loving our new town!!! All the services we need are under 5 minutes away for which we are thrilled!!! No more driving 50kms. each way just to get groceries!!! woohoo!! :D

However, I promised to talk about all the differences and intricacies we were going to encounter, and here's one of many.


When giving anyone your telephone number out here in Saskatchewan you need only provide the
city you live in and the last 4 digits of your phone number!!!

THAT'S
RIGHT my dear 416/647 and 905/289 area code friends!! Out here you don't really even need a blackberry or speed dial to remember people's phone numbers! You can simply say " I live in Weyburn and my number is 1234". why? well, because everybody knows Weyburn's exchange is 842!!! That's why!!

Aaaaannnnd, the ENTIRE PROVINCE is under the SAME area code, which is 306!!!

I mean, being Ontarians, when was the last time you remember not using area codes first of all, never mind using the same area code to call your friends in Mississauga, Brampton, Toronto, Scarborough, Ottawa, Parry Sound, Port Perry, etc, etc???!!!

You guys should all see the looks i get when I start giving my phone number anywhere and start with the area code. I can almost see the word bubble on the side of people's heads saying "du
h"!! That's right city girl!!!

I have explained to everyone here that it will take some time to get use to
this because Toronto and the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) alone have 4 area codes and even then those four area codes can be local or long distance so there goes another digit!!

Whew! I feel better already!!!

4-digit girl.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if there is still a telephone switchboard operator wearing librarian glasses and chewing gum as you dial your 4 digits to connect with Peter in Saskatoon. -Dan

    ReplyDelete